maandag 6 april 2009

Plans are for Architects!

First published on April 07, 2005

In about one months' time I will start on a short trip through Eastern Europe. Almost an exact copy of a trip I did last year, only much shorter and I will only travel through 4 countries instead of the 6 states I saw during my Baltics' trip.

The idea for this trip came from a friend and colleague of mine, Ingrid. We are both members of BeWelcome (www.bewelcome.org), a great website that allows people to find (free) accommodation all over the world and still feels like a big family where everybody knows each other. During my last trip to the Baltic, I met many people there and even made some friends for life. So that was one of my main reasons : seeing some old friends. But Ingrid gave me a second reason to go there : In Lithuania there is a place called Hill of Crosses. And it is a kind of pilgrimage for her. But more about that later.

The title of this entry is "plans are for architects", a term that I first heard from Kinga, a good friend and amazing hitchhiker who has travelled around the world for 5 years with her friend Chopin, and which inspired her to write a book called Led by Destiny. Because you see, I am a real architect when it comes to travelling. Of course I'm not so stubborn that I will not change my plans when there is a nice opportunity along the way, but to tell you the truth i LOVE to plan. I will always read lots of books before leaving, I will print out road maps and I will calculate how much money I can spend a day. My name is Thorgal67, and PREPARATIONS is my middle name !

So far this kind of travelling has always impressed people, because most of the time I arrive at my place of destination on time.

Next week I'll post some more.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten